All about us
Maurice Leach & Son began in 1950 when Maurice Leach acquired an established business called J & G Cookson, which was located on Marlborough Street, Keighley.
The business traded as joiners, cabinet makers and undertakers. In 1960 Maurice opened a specialised funeral home called Oaklands on Skipton Road, Keighley and Maurice Leach & Company was formed.
Maurice and his wife Edith continued to run both businesses until 1966 when Maurice decided to concentrate solely on funerals to expand the business further.
The funeral business continued to grow and in 1970 Maurice and Edith were joined by their son, John. The following year, the business purchased a fleet of funeral vehicles and branched out into chauffeur driven wedding car hire. The acquisition of the funeral vehicles was a radical progression at the time as all other Funeral Directors in the area hired their funeral vehicles from carriage masters.
John’s wife joined the business in 1974 to assist Edith with the administrative work and gradually over time Edith reduced her involvement in the business.
“In 1975, John became a partner in the business at which point the business was renamed Maurice Leach & Son.”
The business continued to grow and in 1980, after a two year search, a large property next door was purchased. The building was ideal but in need of extensive refurbishment. Alteration work took place taking almost a year to complete, and in 1981 the building was officially opened to the public.
In 1988, Maurice and Edith both retired and the business was sold. John was appointed as Manager and continued to run the business maintaining family traditions. Although John’s responsibility has expanded, he still takes a special interest in the old family business.
John’s wife Jayne continues to work at Maurice Leach & Son as Administrator and Funeral Arranger continuing the family association with the business.